CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whoopie Pies

I made these for our daughter's Valentines party at school and for my day care kids!! They were at hit!! Definitely making them again!

For cakes:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup Ghirardelli premium baking cocoa-unsweetened
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg


For filling:
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
  • 2 cups marshmallow cream such as Marshmallow Fluff
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • food coloring of choice ( I used Wilton's 'Dora Pink')


Make cakes:
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl until combined. Stir together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.

Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a handheld, then add egg, beating until combined well. Reduce speed to low and alternately mix in flour mixture and buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with flour, scraping down side of bowl occasionally, and mixing until smooth.

I used my Pampered Chef 1 tbsp. scoop (the small one) and pressed them into a heart shaped whoopie pie pan. Bake until tops are puffed and cakes spring back when touched, 11 to 13 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack when finished.


Make filling:
Beat together butter, confectioners sugar, marshmallow, and vanilla in a bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. I added food coloring to make them pink!


Assemble pies:
I found the easiest way to fill the pies was using a icing bag! I didn't even use a tip! Fill the bottom of one cake and top with the bottom of another!


Originally I found the recipe at http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Whoopie-Pies-107615 , but I changed up a few things so I rewrote it.


Hope you enjoy!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment